Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Guest Blogger!

No one would believe me for a second if I said that I had hacked Magnus's blog--he allowed me in. I am here for a week visit during my February break from BBA. Hopefully Magnus will post a fabulous blog next week after we go to the Drammen Sprints, where Andy Newell got a silver last year!

The rest of Europe might question it, but Norway is truly European. The evidence of this is everywhere:

1. All workers wear matching suits (top and bottoms) with dozens of pockets and reflective stripes everywhere.
2. People of every age bike in mid-winter.
3. Norwegians are mad about soccer.
4. The chocolate is ridiculously expensive AND good.
5. Mild disdain (hiding a healthy dose of jealousy), typically masked as straightforward condescension, for all things American.

And yet, Norway is definitely a world apart:

1.

People, ok, old folks, actually use these around town. The sidewalks are so icy, who can blame them?

2.






This excavator was "plowing" a 100 meter section of road in front of the apartment for four hours the other day. The ice was a foot thick. EVERYONE (except for your's truly in his rental car) has studded snows.

3.






Checkout lady at the grocery store wearing her VM 2011 t-shirt. For every medal that a Norwegian skier wins, the customers get a 1% rebate. Norwegians may love soccer, but Nordic skiing is serious!









4. Voss has a population of 14,000 and 5 Nordic areas. You can also choose from approximately 10 ski clubs! Magnus belongs to Voss IL. Voss's Wikipedia page features all the famous people from Voss; they are all skiers.

5. Did I mention the Nordic ski culture here?

Years ago I made some pathetic comment to my Mom about not liking Europe because all I did was go to museums. She told me to go out and do the things that I liked doing in the States and stop worrying about trying to be cultured. So, I make it a point to find the best used stores wherever I go. Believe me, NOTHING compares to the Thrifty Attic in Londonderry.


Your correspondent at the Voss Fretex.

No comments:

Post a Comment