Thursday, February 10, 2011

Culture Center and Russerevy

In Norway there is an unwritten rule that all town with any sort of pride have there own culture center. In Voss they have just finished building a new one that is really quite impressive. For one it is now the town movie theater, which I found out while also finding out that Norwegians can crank out movies (already a new Varg Veum movie, despite filming the last two Harry Potters at the same time there is no way those movies will come out that close to each other). Personally I watched the movie in the "intimate" theater (seats about 50 back row has only love seats) as I believe the main big theater is yet to be finished. They also have a pretty large library and a good stable of semi functioning "artistic" chairs. Another exciting feature is the grass roof which is made to be climbed up. It slopes up at a gentle angle from the ground with a flat area on top that looks out over the lake (nice view, not a photogenic view, at least at night).

As part of my ongoing Magnus Bigelow become a real norwegian transformation I interrupted an epic weekend of killing Nazi Zombies to watch Russerevy at the old theater. It is an event like no other (except all the other ones going on around Norway), basically Saturday Night Live put on by the Norwegian seniors (Russ). There were monologues, skits, dancing, and singing. There was funny stuff, there was bad stuff and there was funnily bad stuff. On the whole it was a fun performance and afterwards the kids my age were talking big about what we are going to do next year. While it doesn't really fit well with the "sports line" schedule (as shown by the lack of toppidrett kids) I personally think my talents would best be put to use singing (as my dad says "it takes a special voice to be told to lip sync by your choir teacher"). While my fist choice of song would obviously be "Love Me Sexy" from Semi Pro, the norwegians are unaware of Will Ferrels brilliance so I am currently leaning towards "Human" by The Killers (if there has ever been a more appropriate time for the button all the way down the side pants and tights combo I can't think of it).

Here are a few pictures of the culture center (the seats recline!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment