Sunday, February 27, 2011

Finally a real norwegian

As all of you should be well aware, the nordic ski world championships are currently going on in Oslo, Norway. This has created a ton of excitement here in Voss and has caused productivity to drop by 257% when a race is going on (all numbers approximate). It has also turned me into a real Norwegian. Now it isn't what you are thinking, I haven't suddenly been taken by the excitement surrounding the events that is palpable everywhere you look, nor is it the fact that norwegians are dominating (though that has been nice), no, the thing that has made me a real norwegian is my newfound real hatred for swedes. While I had already developed a reasonable (and mostly fake) dislike for swedes (much like my general, mostly fake, disdain for french canadians) watching she who shall not be named (fine Ida Ingemarsdotter) fell America's gold medal favorite Kikkan Randall in the sprint suddenly shifted my attitude. Soon my cheering went in the following order: go America, go Norway, fall Justyna Kowalzcyk, fall on your face swedes. This development was warmly embraced by my norwegian friends, I was watching the sprint with, and we all joined in on a profanity laced tirade at Marcus Hellner for having the audacity to actually win the sprint. I look forward to more of the same in the coming week.

In other news (or rather lack of), I have been rather disappointed by the amount of time it takes fasterskier.com to put up updates about the races so I have created a twitter account where I will when possible enlighten those of us not in Norway as too the happenings in Oslo (editors note: probably something grammatically wrong with this sentence). Just search for Magnus Bigelow on twitter. My handle, to use twitter speek, is MagnusBigelow, bland but to the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment